Introduction to Hybrid Rice
Hybrid rice is rice that has been created by crossing two different parental strains. Such crosses generally result in an F1 generation that is more robust than either of the parental strains. The improved qualities of the F1 generation is referred to as “hybrid vigor” or “heterocyst”. The hybrid vigor may result in superior agronomic qualities such as higher yield, stronger resistance to diseases, more efficient use of soil nutrients, and better weed control. Hybrid vigor and other superior qualities arising from crossing genetically different plants has been well known and used by traditional crop breeders for decades.
In the past, the production of hybrid rice strains was limited by rice’s inherent propensity to self-pollinate. In 1974, Chinese scientists overcame this when they developed the first generation of hybrid rice using a three-line hybrid system based on cytoplasmic male sterile (CMS) lines and hybrid combinations. In 1996, an even more efficient second generation of hybrid rice was developed based on photoperiod-sensitive genetic male sterility (PGMS) lines.hybrid-rice-1hybrid-rice-2
Conventional Rice Vs. Hybrid Rice
Hybrid rice offers strong yield potential, as well as good resistance to diseases including bacterial panicle blight, a significant threat in rice fields. Conventional varieties can also offer outstanding yields.
Hybrids are a more forgiving plant than the conventional varieties, You can grow good rice with the conventional, but you have manage them more intensively
Types of Rice Seeds
1: Local varieties
- Commonly Cultivated In Whole Myanmar Small/ Medium In Size Like Zeeyar, Pawsan Bejaji,Baiyathun Etc.
2: High yielding Varieties
- Medium/Long Size Grain Mostly Cultivated By Farmers And Also Exported To China Like Manaw Thukha, Shwe Thuka,Sin Thukha,Hmawabi,Shwebo Pawsan,Phyabo Pawsan Etc.
3: Hybrid rice
- In Myanmar Only One Hybrid Rice Is Available Named Pearl – Thwe(Perlethwe)
- This Hybrid Rice Is Long Sized Grain But Its Taste Quality Is Poor And Also Not Suitable For Flood Zone Area. Unfortunately It Is Rejected By Myanmar Local As Well As Current Govt.
Farmers Views on Hybrid rice (Pearl – Thwe)
- Hybrid Rice Seeds Have Very Good Yield As Compare To Traditional In Breed Rice Seeds
- Insects Love Hybrid Rice Hence They Attack Very Easily Therefor It Is Not Insect Resistant Also Pest(Sippo) Drop Theire Larva In The Roots Of Hybrid Rice.
- Method Of Cultivation Is Costly.
- Require High Amount Of Pesticides And Fertilizers
- Not Adaptable To All Types Of Soil.
- Need Extra Care And Techniques During Cultivation.
- No Buyers Available.
- Overall Pain To The Pocket Of Farmers.